Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Essentials

By Susan Muegge
What matters most?

My favorite business book of 2014 was Essentialism by Greg McKeown. With four kids, an active volunteer and faith life, a professional career I am passionate about and a physically demanding lifestyle, you realize that there are only so many hours in a day. In the past year, I've realized that each of those minutes is a gift and should be spent with as much purpose and passion as possible.

I've recently turned down two job offers, one from an amazing company I would love to work for, because I realize that I am spending all my time doing what I love. If I took on something new, I'd have to give up something. (This is a dramatic switch from my 20s when I did everything I wanted and drank more espresso. An espresso maker of my own was both the best and the worst gift ever. My husband disposed of it out of love for me.)

I still fail--there is more TV than I'd like, and sometimes I get sucked into facebook, but I try to come back to the center and ask what matters today. I sincerely hope that when I look back in five years I'll see a life that matters and that was built with the right choices everyday.

BTW, I spent two hours yesterday making a three-layer birthday cake for my daughter, and I would not swap that time for anything because of the look on her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment